THE NATIONAL STATE POLICE

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE NATIONAL STATE POLICE

DEDICATED TO STATE-POLICE & HIGHWAY-PATROL TROOPERS BUT ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT ARE WELCOME

Threat Advisory

Powered by CopsPlus.com

CHIEF SP PRODUCTS

Shop CHIEF

Latest topics

» 1042 Trooper Here
Massachusetts Trooper Saves Ex-firefighter EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 9:37 am by imbrium

» Budget Cuts Class
Massachusetts Trooper Saves Ex-firefighter EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:20 pm by Super_HKS

» The polygragh
Massachusetts Trooper Saves Ex-firefighter EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:19 pm by Super_HKS

» Academy Class
Massachusetts Trooper Saves Ex-firefighter EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:18 pm by Super_HKS

» Dodge Products
Massachusetts Trooper Saves Ex-firefighter EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:16 pm by Super_HKS

» Favorite brand of pistol
Massachusetts Trooper Saves Ex-firefighter EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:16 pm by Super_HKS

» Assualt Weapons
Massachusetts Trooper Saves Ex-firefighter EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:15 pm by Super_HKS

» Transformer vs. Matrix
Massachusetts Trooper Saves Ex-firefighter EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:13 pm by Super_HKS

» Real Stories Of the Highway Patrol
Massachusetts Trooper Saves Ex-firefighter EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:12 pm by Super_HKS

5.11 TACTICAL GEAR

Free 5.11 Tactical Gear at CHIEF

UNDER ARMOUR

FREE Ground Shipping on $50+ Under Armour Orders

Massachusetts Trooper Saves Ex-firefighter

yougotcaught
    yougotcaught
    Admin

Number of posts : 222
    Registration date : 2008-11-15

Massachusetts Trooper Saves Ex-firefighter Empty Massachusetts Trooper Saves Ex-firefighter

Post  yougotcaught Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:56 pm

Massachusetts Trooper Saves Ex-firefighter

Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008
    Updated: November 24th, 2008 11:54 AM GMT-05:00

Most Read Most E-mailed E-mail Article Print Article

Jessica Van Sack
    Boston Herald

--

Nov. 24--State trooper Mike Peters was driving on Route 28 in Wareham when a plume of smoke caught the corner of his eye.

"I just thought there was a house on fire," said Peters, 42, a K-9 officer and father of five assigned to the State Fire Marshal's office. "But then I saw that truck up against a tree."

It was Wednesday at about 2:30 p.m. and Peters was returning home from a training class at the Department of Fire Services in Stow. The truck's engine was howling as the tires spun and white and gray smoke pumped out. Peters, a former Randolph firefighter and EMT, reflexively ran toward the scene.

"I had never seen so much smoke in my life from spinning tires," Peters said.

Peters blindly felt around to the driver's door. There was a man inside. His body was limp and his foot still lay on the gas pedal.

"He had obviously suffered some medical condition," Peters said. "I checked him for a pulse. There was nothing. No breathing. No pulse."

A flow of adrenaline rushed over Peters as he swiftly scooped up the man from the truck and onto the grass. Peters knelt down and began pounding the man's chest and giving him mouth-to-mouth.

"I wasn't even thinking," Peters said. "You go right back into training mode. It's just ingrained in you."

Then, the anonymous man let out a deep gasp, a sign of life. Peters paused. He took the man's pulse, a detectable yet faint beat. Turning around, Peters saw patches of flames getting closer. As EMTs arrived, Peters began putting out the fires with his K-9's water rations.

At the time, he had no idea that he had just saved the life of another former jake, retired Carver Fire Department Capt. Richard Mazalewski, 63, who was later flown to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston.

Peters' bold rescue caught the attention of State Police Col. Mark Delaney, who told the Herald, "He made this job proud."

As for Mazalewski, he returned home yesterday. His wife of 42 years, Joyce, believes the fact that she is spending the week preparing for Thanksgiving dinner instead of a funeral is all thanks to Peters.

"The doctors told us he was lucky to have even made it to the hospital," Joyce Mazalewski said. "It's definitely going to be a more thankful day this year."

jvansack@bostonherald.com

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:54 pm